Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Father's Love


When you talk about technology, many people have various opinions.  Some people believe that it has made our world better and more efficient.  Others will tell you that technology has taken the human element out of the world in which we live. For me personally, technology provides me with a great gift-  this gift is to live independently in the world and live a normal life.  Without the use of my wheelchair, the adaptations in my van, or my cell phone, I would not be able to function normally in this world.  I thank God every day for the way He has provided for me so that I can serve Him through teaching and mentoring young people.  God will supply and equip His people to do what He has called them to do.  For me, He supplies me with technology.
 Now, if you have ever been working on a report or playing a game on the computer and it freezes up or shuts down, then you know the feelings of frustration that comes from it.  For me, those feelings are intensified when my wheelchair or van breaks down.  I cannot function or live independently without them. Two weeks ago, my wheelchair died and I was literally stranded in one spot until I got a hold of my dad (with my cell phone).  For hours, I never moved and waited until I could get another wheelchair.

This would be a very scary feeling without the comfort and security of my amazing father who will drop everything to come to his daughter's rescue.  He has never left me or abandoned me in times of need. Now, my dad and I have a great relationship on a daily basis.  I became a teacher and followed in his footsteps.  There were times that I wasn't sure if I could accomplish my goal because of the many normal obstacles, as well as abnormal obstacles I faced.  My dad has always believed in me and has supported me in ,all my times of need.  My dad and I have a special bond that I have never taken for granted, or so I thought.

Last week, I became ill with a severe kidney infection. I have had a very high fever and severe back pain.  I have struggled, to yet again, be independent.  I needed help again, so I called the one person who has always been there for me, my dad.  But, this time, he couldn't come to my rescue. He had not shared with me, but he was having a procedure at the hospital.  This information stabbed me in the heart.  First, my dad, my rock, the one person who I call on couldn't come to my rescue for the first time.  Second, my heart was overwhelmed because, the time that my dad needed me, I was weak and couldn't be there with him. I cannot imagine my life without my father.  To be honest, the thought of anything happening to him, brings the feeling of fear.  In losing my father, I would not just lose my relationship, but my security in knowing that I always had someone to help me when I am stranded.
This fear became very real last Thursday. My kidney infection is still an issue.  I had 103 fever and was completely drained.  I have not wanted to bother my parents due to the struggles they are facing.  I was weak, but I thought I could handle it.  I was headed to bed and fell.  I could not reach my phone and was trapped with no physical strength to get up.  For over two hours, I laid on my floor and cried like I have never cried before. I was alone, stranded, with no one able to come to my rescue. After I calmed down, the quiet still voice spoke these words, ”So be strong and courageous! "Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6)

It took me awhile, but I managed to gain enough strength to get up.  I don't know what the future holds.  I have realized that we are never promised tomorrow. I am grateful for every day that God gives me and my dad.  I am learning to put my total trust in God! One day, in reality, I will probably have to say bye to my dad. I am learning to stand on my faith and know that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me and will NEVER leave me.  My Heavenly Father will take care of me and my dad.

The same Heavenly Father will take care of you, too!

 

         

No comments:

Post a Comment