Sunday, November 7, 2010

Eyes and Heart for Christ



 










A year in a half ago, my life changed forever! 




I lost the most precious blessing in my life, my Grandfather.  I went through a deep depression for six months and pretty much stopped living life. Over the past year, I have worked through my Grandfather's death and built a relationship with God.  I realized patterns of  unhealthy behaviors, and began to ask God to change me.


God has revealed His love, grace, forgiveness, and mercy to me.  I am overwhelmed by the fact that God grants me such amazing things.  I had begun to build a rock solid relationship with Him and have been filled with His peace, hope, and love.  I climbed out of the pit of depression into the arms of my Lord. Each day, it seemed I was drawing closer and closer to Him and surrendering my old life to Him.  After 33 years, I could finally say, with confidence, that I was a true child of God.  I was on top of My Rock, My God! Nothing could be better!!

Two months ago, a major storm came full force into my life. Now, instead of being the care taker for my Grandfather, I am the one facing health issues.  My heart is not working properly and I have swelling in my left eye that could cause sever damage or blindness.  I am physically very weak and have a fever that has wiped  me out! The unknown has produced fear, and isolation has moved me towards the temptation of diving into depression and my common unhealthy patterns of behavior. I have been weak and decided to ask God for help. 

How am I to stay Rock Solid when the rocky storm of life comes crashing in with news of a frail heart and possible blindness? 

God's Word says "When the storms of life come, the wicked are whirled away,but the godly have a lasting foundation." Proverbs 10:25 

" It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the flood waters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built." Luke 6:48
        
 These scriptures remind me that the past year has been a time of preparation.  I have worked to dig deep into my past and plant myself on the foundation of Christ.  In learning how to trust, serve, and obey God, He promises to hold me tight through the storm. What do I do to stay focused on His promises and not the temptations of this world?  Personally, I have had to change perspectives.  
        
 Our focus as Christ followers should not be on worldly things, but on heavenly things. If I am honest, one of my biggest fears at this point is losing my eye sight.  I already have limitations so how in the "world" would I survive without sight?  The Lord said to them, “Keep your eyes on me." Judges 17:7 No matter what happens with my eyes, the sight that I don't want to lose is my focus on God.  I may lose sight in this world, but God may I never lose sight of who I am in you!!!
          
In 1 John 5:20-21 it says,   "We know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us understanding so that we can know the true God. And now we live in fellowship with the true God because we live in fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, and he is eternal life. Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God’s place in your hearts."    
      

             Lord may you let me "see" opportunities through this storm to serve you. Though my physical heart is weak, may I never be weak in searching your heart.  May the desire of my heart and the vision of my life not serve selfish desires, but serve my Holy God.  May my storm cause those who are blind to a relationship with you begin to open their heart and eyes to you, the one who loves us all so deeply.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment