Monday, January 17, 2011

Quality of Life

Today, I was sitting in a professional development training dealing with teaching students who live in poverty.  We had a discussion question.  The question was "What brings you quality of life?" As we went around the table, people mentioned things like a nice house, a car, family, friends, children, food on the table, clothes, husband, wife, etc. When it was my turn to share, without hesitation, I said my spirituality/relationship with the Lord.  The looks I got were, to say the least, interesting.

Now, while I think the information shared had meaning to my profession, I can honestly say that I believe God truly has changed my heart when it comes to my perception of this world and my purpose in it.  The who idea of the world's concept of people gaining a quality and "identity" in this world is based on building relationships to move up the socio economic ladder. The more education you have, the better the job, the better the money, the better the life, the better relationships you have, the better security, the better quality of life.

God's Word says Matthew 6  

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also........25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

In the economic times, I know it is difficult for many people.  I recently have had several medical issues and lost my secondary insurance.  It is very hard, and if you look at things from a worldly perspective, it is down right frightening.  But, if God takes care of even the birds, then surely he will take care of His children.  As Christians, our security and purpose is not calculated by the things of the world.  Our security comes from the one who created us. 

"The Lord called me before my birth. From within the womb he called me by my name...He said to me, `You are my servant'..." (Isaiah 49:1,3 TLB); "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb" (Psalm 139:13).

God had a plan for us before we were born, but the Bible doesn't say the Lord called you by name so that you would get married, have a family, go to college, get a good job, have a nice house, go on vacations, wear all the designer clothes, be financially secure, and have everything you wanted.  God did not create us to bless us with things of this world. The Bible clearly states He said to me, `You are my servant'.  We were created to  be of service to the Lord.  Our eternal purpose is to serve the Lord.

Now, I believe that one of the biggest ways we serve the Lord is in serving others. In Matthew 25:40, it says, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ So, as a born servant of Christ, we are not to worry about our own needs, but serve others in their needs. 

This truth humbles me.  I have always thought, hey I work hard, I deserve nice things.  Well, it isn't necessarily a bad thing to have nice things. God can bless me and has in many ways, but my quality or value of life comes from God and serving Him, not from the job I have or the money I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment