Friday, July 8, 2011

The Spirit of Living (Part 2) - A personal role of the Spirit: An ULTIMATE Friend

[Part 1]

During Jesus’ life, he spent a great deal of time with his disciples.  He had a close bond with them.  I believe his disciples probably knew Jesus better than anyone else who lived among Him during that time.  Many people knew that He was a man of great wonders and miracles.  They knew that there was something very special about him. They would come from all over to hear him teach. A great number of people proclaimed Him as Lord.  The disciples got to experience all of this too, but they didn’t just get to witness all of these things, they got to know Jesus on a different level.  Jesus was not only their teacher, he was their friend. All of the disciples left their life to follow a man that ultimately became their best friend.

Think for a moment about your best friend.  When I think of my best friend, two people come to mind, my friend Shayne and my friend David. Shayne has been my friend for 26 years.  She grew up with me.  She has been a great companion over the years. We lived together in college.  She has helped me with several things over the years. She would give me advice in terms of what she saw happening in my life, rather it be about a guy I was dating or the career choice I was seeking. Over the years, when needed, Shayne has told me what I needed to hear and not necessarily what I wanted to hear. I have always been grateful for Shayne’s honesty in those times. She cared enough for me to tell me when I was doing right and wrong. Her love and acceptance helped me listen to her in those moments.

David has also been a great companion over the years.  I met David 16 years ago and my life has never been the same.  David unconditionally loved me from the beginning.  He always cared about meeting my needs before his own.  He has probably been the biggest encourager in my life.  He was my biggest advocate. I remember one summer in particular.  I worked at a church camp and there was a huge conflict within the staff.  There were two sides of the story and I was on - the not so popular side.  David stood beside me during the whole ordeal. In a sense, he pleaded for me on my behalf. He saw me through the struggle and mourned with me when I ultimately lost very valuable friendships, as well as hope.  His strength helped me get through one of the most difficult times in my life.

Both David and Shayne are friends that I can count on in life.  You know the type of friend I am talking about..... someone you can trust, learn, grow, and always depend on throughout life. This is exactly the kind of relationship the disciples had with Jesus. Well, with one exception.  Jesus had the perfect thing going on.....so he probably should be referred to as the best of the best – the ULTIMATE best friend! 

Now, as a best friend of the disciples, Jesus wanted to prepare them for the future. Jesus’ ultimate purpose was to die on the cross for the sin of all mankind.  He knew he was going to be leaving them, and as a best friend, he wanted to comfort them.  In the Gospel of John, we see how the story unfolds.  Jesus prepared his disciples for what was going to happen by saying to them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.” (John 12: 23-27, NIV)

I believe that one of the reasons that Jesus became troubled as he was speaking to his disciples was the fact that he was going to have to leave his friends that he had spent so much time with during his time here on earth. But, he knew his purpose and believed in his Father’s plan.  So being a true friend and companion, Jesus has another conversation with his disciples. He wanted to comfort them in what was about to happen.  He tells them,  “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.” (John 14: 1-4, NIV)

The disciples had a hard time understanding what Jesus was saying. Wouldn’t you if you were them? What Jesus was talking about was beyond human reason- He was talking to them in terms of their faith, but they were confused.  Jesus saw this and tried to help them understand the situation that was about to happen.  He told them, “Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do.  I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!   If you love me, obey my commandments.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you.  He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth.......  When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.  Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them..... What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me.  I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.”  (John 14: 11-17, 20-21, 24-26, NIV)

There are many things about this conversation between Jesus and his disciples that jump out at me. For the purpose of part two of The Spirit of Living, I will focus on two truths I believe can be found in the passage. First, Jesus tells his disciples that if they continue to follow and obey him, then God would send an Advocate-the Holy Spirit.  If you look this passage up in various translations, there are many terms other than Advocate that are used to describe the Holy Spirit. Here are some of the other words used: Companion, Comforter, Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Strengthener, and Friend. Based on the meaning of these terms, it sounds like God was sending them someone. Truth #1-  The Holy Spirit is a person who is personally connected to those who follow Jesus. Second, Jesus tells them that the Holy Spirit (or Advocate, Companion, Comforter, Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Strengthener, and Friend) will serve as Jesus’ representative.  That means that the Holy Spirit would "act" as Jesus.  Truth #2 - The Holy Spirit is today, for Christians, what Jesus was to his disciples - the ULTIMATE best friend – the one you can trust, learn, grow, and always depend on throughout life!

This is some good stuff, right?  YES, but it is also important to mention here that the Holy Spirit is a gift from God to those who love and obey Jesus. As Christians, we don’t just get the benefits of the Holy Spirit without giving something in return.  Christians should respect the fact that God has a specific purpose for providing the Holy Spirit to those who follow Jesus. It is not a gift given to be selfishly used and hoarded for our own personal or selfish agendas.  The gift of the Holy Spirit has a specific purpose.

To be continued......

Stick with me!  During the next month, I will share with you one of the most powerful encounters I have had in my lifetime with the Holy Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment