Monday, May 23, 2011

Take Out The Trash

I got into my van the other day and noticed I had trash stuck to one of the wheels on my wheelchair.  I had already transferred in my seat so I made a mental note to pick up the trash when I got to my destination. Well, when I got to my destination, I completely forgot about looking down and getting the trash.  In just the few minutes it took me to get from point A to point B, I had let my mind go to  thoughts of the business of the day.

Later, this encounter lead me to a sermon about taking out the trash.  The sermon was on taking out the trash (or ungodly things) out of our lives.  Sure, there are things that we carry around that we would considered our dirty trash, and it’s hard to get rid of the smell.  Those are the things that God shows us over time through the holy spirit.  Things like divorce, death, abuse, and sickness can cause us to hold on to things like fear, resentment, hurt, shame, and guilt, but over time, God helps us heal and the trash is gone.

"And you know that God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. Then Jesus went around doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him." (Acts 10:38)

What about trash that we know about and leave it there?  Just like I left the trash on my wheel, many times, Christians know they are dragging trash, but leave it there. We know we shouldn’t gossip, but we stay in the work room.  We know that we should show grace to others, but then act on a trashy thought like “She deserves what she gets because she did me wrong.”  Or, instead of taking responsibility, we tell a lie to keep us out of trouble.  The rational is that it’s just a small piece of trash, it’s ok.  No one will notice it.

Have you ever seen anyone with toilet paper stuck to their shoe?  It’s just a small piece, but it seems everyone notices and it is not very attractive.  Small pieces of trash affect how people view us.  As Christians, we are living examples of the One we follow and serve.  It is so important that I daily get rid of the trash, so that it may not distract from others being attracted to me and the One I serve. 

"So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls. (James 1:21).”

 “This is how the LORD responds:
   “If you return to me, I will restore you
      so you can continue to serve me.
   If you speak good words rather than worthless ones,
      you will be my spokesman.
   You must influence them;
      do not let them influence you!”( Jeremiah 15:19)


Lord, may you help me remember to take out the trash every morning. May I never be too busy to pick up and throw away those things that are unattractive to the cause of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment