Saturday, July 2, 2011

Face Washing

I have become increasingly aware of how judgmental people are these days. Have a five minute conversation with someone, and at some point, I bet some comment will be made about how this person or that person gets on their nerves or doesn't live up to various expectations or standards. It seems like its human nature to want to nick pick on what others wear, do, say, etc.  It has been my experience that people enjoy pointing out faults, mistakes, and bad habits of those around them. There seems to be no tolerance for people to be.......well, human.  What I don't understand is.... why do humans not have tolerance of humans?  The Bible is very clear on this matter:

 "Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor"(Matthew 7:1-5 The Message)

Reading this passage has really humbled me.  It is really easy to get caught up in the fact that others disappoint me, make mistakes, and make bad decisions.  Who am I to call them out, when I have done the exact same thing at times?  The Bible clearly says.....I do not have a right!

My prayer is that instead of judging others, I will love them just as Christ loves me. In order to love them, I must see others the way God sees them.  

"Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure."(Ephesians 1:4-5 NLT)   

To see others I must ' wipe the ugly sneer off my face.' In doing this- I will no longer get great pleasure in pointing out faults, but in loving those who God loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment