Sunday, July 17, 2011

Spirit of Living (Part 4) – A Permanent Resident

[Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3]


"If you love me, show it by doing what I've told you. I will talk to the Father, and he'll provide you another Friend so that you will always have someone with you. This Friend is the Spirit of Truth. The godless world can't take him in because it doesn't have eyes to see him, doesn't know what to look for. But you know him already because he has been staying with you, and will even be in you!” (John 14:15-17)

Jesus tells His disciples, “But in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don’t, the Advocate won’t come. If I do go away, then I will send him to you.” (John 16:7)

These two passages of Scripture are powerful!  I don’t think many people stop and think about the power and truth that comes from these words from Jesus.  Why do I think this way?  I believe that if Christians would truly embrace what these passages of Scripture reveal, then the Church would be the most sought out place in the world.

In his book, Forgotten God, Francis Chan states, “Churchgoers all across the nation say the Holy Spirit has entered them.  They claim that God has given them a supernatural ability to follow Christ, put sin to death, and serve the church.....but, then, outside the church, people see no difference in our lives from non-believers.”

This is a really sad statement because I think it is true.  I think that if people really understood the Holy Spirit, then things would be different. Jesus tells His disciples that it would be best that he go.  Now, this must have seemed crazy to the disciples because what could be good about a friend leaving? Jesus knew His Father had a greater plan and Jesus understood His Father’s will. Knowing this, Jesus told them that he had to go so that the Holy Spirit could come.  So, Jesus was saying that even a greater friend would come-Someone greater than Jesus??  Jesus is the perfect man – How is there someone greater?

I think the answer is in John 14:17, ...... “But you know him already because he has been staying with you, and will even be in you!”  Jesus walked along beside the disciples.  They saw first hand the awesome and wonderful things He did on earth.  They saw the miracles and powerful authority He was given.  Jesus tells his friends that the Holy Spirit will even be in themThe Holy Spirit, who represents Jesus, lives in you.  Do you know what that means?? All the power and authority that Jesus had on earth now can be found in every Christian - through the Holy Spirit!! 

If we have put our faith in Jesus, love, and obey Him, then we have received the gift of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is in us 24 hours a day, seven days a week!  We can ask for help any time of day!  We have knowledge, power, and authority at our fingertips.  It is the greatest connection to God! We are never alone.   Through the Holy Spirit, we become a new creation!! When we face trials, struggles, temptations, and trouble in this world, we can call on the Holy Spirit to comfort us and guide us through the situation. With the Holy Spirit, Christians should absolutely look and act different from non-believers!! 

In the next few posts, I will share with you part of my personal story.  I will share my journey of how I first encountered  the Holy Spirit, a powerful moment of transformation, and how my life has changed since I have found a connection with the Holy Spirit.  I want you to know that I have been praying for those who have been reading my blog. Thanks for sticking with me on my journey. May we all have a deeper understanding of who the Holy Spirit is and what it means to have that Spirit living in us!

No comments:

Post a Comment