Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fasting (Part 3) – A Priority

When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” (Matthew 6:16-18)

This passage really spoke to me.  It says when you fast, not if you fast. I have come to realize that fasting is not a choice, but a commandment. Therefore, it became a priority for me to practice obedience and fast. Through fasting, I have made God the number one priority again.  I have come to realize my deep desire to know Him.  My “To Do List” has changed. Here are the thoughts and knowledge I gained at the end of my fast from TV. (Again, in no particular order.)

- I always seemed to struggle to find time with God.  I have learned now, if I truly want time with God, then all I need to do is to turn off the TV.

- My days have become more productive. By not watching TV, I found that I did not have to ask myself “where did the day go?” During my fast, I have done all my daily chores and other things, I just found time with God, and spent more time working towards advancing His Kingdom.


-Where the TV gives images of joy and contentment through success, money, love, sex, relationships, and power; God’s Word gives images of Joy and Contentment through his promises. Through obedience, we gain power, not of the world, but through the Holy Spirit. The power of the Holy Spirit is what brings ultimate contentment because it guides us to the knowledge of who we are in Christ and leads us on the path we were created to take here on earth.

-During the fast, I caught myself less and less going to turn on the TV, which was my automatic response.  I now have caught myself reading Scripture, reading other books/blogs or journaling which put my heart, mind, and thoughts on God. My hope is that my automatic response will continue to grow to be to spend time with God.

- I have decided that with all that I have learned during this time of fasting, I will not turn on my TV unless I have spent time with God FIRST! I actually started having thoughts that I would miss the time with God once I stopped fasting. Spending time with God satisfies me more than anything that I saw on TV.

Is God a priority in your life?  Where does he fit on your list? If He is not at the top of your list, what needs to be moved around or erased so that God is number One?  When we fast from something, the goal is to let God replace it. At first, it was hard, but as I allowed more of God into my life, I thought less and less about what I was giving up.  In fact, the day after my fast was over, I did not turn on the TV.  I was more satisfied with spending time with God that TV wasn’t as important anymore. For me, fasting was the greatest thing I have ever done to connect with God and summit to His will. What are you willing to give up for a month in order for God to be the One you desire and depend on in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment