Sunday, November 27, 2011

Unusual Perspective of a Bad Day

Just curious- Have you ever had a bad day?  If I was to ask you what a bad day looked like, many of you would probably say things like:

- It was pouring down rain and I got soaked because I left my umbrella at home.
- I got a flat tire.
- I spilled coffee all over my pants.
- I wasn’t able to finish the project and disappointed my boss.
- Someone broke in front of me and it took them 20 minutes to check out.
- My heater, washer, dryer, water-heater, etc.  went out.

Then, others of you might say that your day turned bad when:

- You got fired from your job.
- Your true love left you.
- The report came back showing you had cancer.
- A loved one died.
- You needed help and no one could come to your rescue.


All of these circumstances wouldn’t lead you to celebrate because none of these things are what you want. No one wants to suffer or go through trials. Over the last months, I have had some really bad days.  I have been sick, my chair has broken down, things haven’t gone as planned at work, and my heart has been broken by others.  At first, I said things like “It’s not fair.” “I don’t deserve this to happen.”  “Why is this happening to me?” “Why can’t others accept me?”  These seem like the natural questions to ask myself, but these questions only led me to self-pity.

As a Christian, I worship a man who went through the greatest trial that anyone will ever go through- Jesus died on the cross and bore the sin of the world!!  There is no greater suffering anyone will bear.  It seems selfish to me to think that I don’t deserve to have any pain or trials in my life.  In fact, looking at trials in this way goes against scripture.  Scripture says “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” (James 1: 2-3)

Consider it Joy to go through trials??  What??  This doesn’t seem natural in a world of suffering, pain, and anguish, but this way of thinking is through worldly eyes – not eternal eyes.  God’s Word says:  “You died with Christ and were made free from the powers that influence this world. So why do you act as if you still belong to the world?  You were raised from death with Christ. So live for what is in heaven, where Christ is sitting at the right hand of God.  Think only about what is up there, not what is here on earth.  Your old self has died, and your new life is kept with Christ in God. Yes, Christ is now your life, and when he comes again, you will share in his glory.” Colossians  2:20 and 3:1-4, ERV

I no longer want to be known as a “victim” of the world's bad days.  I want to be known as someone who is full of joy and peace, who lives each day for the One who waits for me in heaven.  When I am face to face with Jesus- nothing in this world - no trial – nothing will matter,  because I will no longer live by faith, but by sight!!  Glory to God!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment